Student-led conferences reflect the belief that students should be actively involved in their learning and assume responsibility for the learning process. Through student-led conferences, students become more motivated, reflective and evaluative. They also become more critical in their approach.
- Increases parental involvement
- All teachers are involved in the conference
- High accountability
- Greater learning atmosphere
- Opportunity to see work in progress
- Motivates all students
- Encourages levels of independence and responsibility
- Opens up communication between school and home
- Practices real life-skills – communication, organization, leadership, etc.
- Teaches self-evaluation, self-reflection skills
- Focuses on learning
- Goal setting process has buy-in by all involved
- Provides quality time between parent and child
- Accommodates parents who do not speak English
- Students are the center of the conference