Assessment at ISE lies at the heart of the process of promoting student’s learning. It provides a framework within which educational objectives will be set and student’s progress expressed and monitored.
Students and teachers work in partnership to enable students to demonstrate what they have learned, assess their progress, and identify specific strategies to maximize their potential on their class assessments.
- Assessment is integral with planning, teaching and learning.
- Assessment is essential to our goal of inspiring students to participate responsibly, successfully and with integrity in the global community.
- Assessment enhances the quality of student learning and the products of learning.
- Assessment includes assessment for learning, assessment as learning and assessment of learning.
- Assessment guides teachers, parents and students towards a desired result.
Part of assessment for learning is that teachers provide students with descriptive feedback and coaching for improvement. In assessment as learning, teachers help students develop their capacity to be independent autonomous learners who are able to set individual goals, monitor their own progress within the curriculum, determine next steps and reflect on their learning.
Descriptions of Achievement Levels
Exemplary (EX) – This rare level of achievement describes evidence that demonstrates exemplary performance in relation to the standards.
Proficient (PR) – This level of achievement describes evidence that demonstrates mastery performance in relation to the standards.
Approaching (AP) – This level of achievement describes evidence with some mastery in relation to the standards.
Concern (CO) – This level of achievement describes evidence that demonstrates limited mastery in relation to the standards.