Athletics and Activities Department
MRISA NEWS / After School Activities Information (ASA)
ISE Philosophy of Sports
Participation in sport is an integral part of the overall program at ISE. All our students should be involved in some athletic endeavor in addition to their classes, clubs and activities.
The school is a member of the Mekong Region International Schools Association (MRISA). Membership in this group of eight schools allows ISE students to participate in international tournaments three times each year. The program includes middle and high school teams for both girls and boys. Additionally the school participates in the Eastern Seaboard Athletic Conference (ESAC). This affords our students a chance to compete in games and tournaments with the other International schools in our region.
In addition to the middle and high school students, the ESAC program includes students in the elementary school. Student participation in sport at ISE has increased significantly in recent years, with many of our students playing on teams that represent our school, both locally and internationally. Each of our seasons culminates with participating in MRISA tournaments with schools from Cambodia, Laos, and Vietnam.
We have had championship teams in: elementary swimming, boys’ and girls’ football, softball, middle school co-ed volleyball and girls’ volleyball.
Irrespective of scores or outcomes, participating in sports can, in itself, be reward enough. Here at ISE, we encourage each of our students to develop her/his character and personality by demonstrating qualities such as stamina, commitment, determination and a sense of fair play. These virtues can then be applied to other aspects of life away from the sporting areas and help make them responsible global citizens.
The Mekong River International Schools Association (MRISA) was formed in 1998, and ISE joined in 2001. MRISA governs sports tournaments, cultural and leadership exchanges held between its member schools.
The eight MRISA schools are:
- United Nations International School of Hanoi (Vietnam)
- Hanoi International School (Vietnam)
- International School of Ho Chi Minh City (Vietnam)
- Saigon South International School (Vietnam)
- International School of Phnom Penh (Cambodia)
- Vientiane International School (Laos)
- Northbridge International School of Cambodia (Cambodia)
- International School Eastern Seaboard (Thailand)
Six MRISA sports tournaments are held throughout each school year, allowing MRISA Middle School and High School athletes to compete internationally in basketball, soccer and volleyball. These tournaments provide opportunities for students from different schools in our region to come together, play sport and make new friends. Participants enjoy safe, organized and competitive matches while developing friendships and improving their skills and appreciation of sport.
A MRISA Cultural Exchange takes place once a year and alternates between member schools. Each cultural exchange has a specific theme which provides the focus for the workshops and performances presented. The MRISA Leadership Summit brings together student leaders from the eight schools. The weekend is dedicated to developing leadership skills through workshops and a community service project. MRISA is sponsoring a Model United Nations program that is hosted in Hanoi. The assembly will have the students from the eight schools role play United Nations delegates while proposing and debating resolutions based on each year’s theme.
Jr. Basketball schedule
– September 14- ISE VS. Garden International School at 4:00 pm at Garden – BOYS Only
– September 26– ISE VS. Mooltripakdee International School at 3:45 at MIS- Boys and Girls
– October 2 ISE VS. American School of Bangkok Green Valley at ASB – Boys and Girls
– October 5 ISE VS. St. Andrews International School Green Valley – Boys @ ISE
– October 5 ISE VS. St. Andrews International School Green Valley – Girls @ Green Valley
– October 10 ISE VS. St. Andrews International School Green Valley – Boys @ ISE
– October 10 ISE VS. St. Andrews International School Green Valley – Girls @ Green Valley
– October 12 ISE VS. Mooltripakdee International School at 3:45 at ISE- Boys and Girls
– October 17 ISE VS. St. Andrews International School Green Valley Boys @ Green Valley
– October 17 ISE VS. St. Andrews International School Green Valley Girls @ ISE
– October 20 ISE VS. Chonburi Local School @ISE – 3:45
– November 7- ISE VS Mooltripakdee International School at 3:45 at MIS- Boys and Girls